Intermusica singers and directors at the summer music festivals
Published: 11 May 2012
Category: Vocal & Opera
This summer, artists from Intermusica's Vocal department feature prominently in the summer music festivals.
- Mezzo Elizabeth DeShong sings Angelina in Glyndebourne’s production of La Cenerentola, 23 May to 7 July.
Grange Park Opera
- Tenor Marco Panuccio stars as Pinkerton in Gianluca Marciano and John Doyle’s Madama Butterfly, from 31 May to 29 June.
- Mezzo Daniela Lehner sings Idamante Idomeneo in a production conducted by Nicholas Kraemer and directed by Charles Edwards (1 June to 1 July).
Garsington Opera (pictured)
- Soprano Mary Bevan is Zerlina in Garsington Opera’s Don Giovanni, 2 June to 2 July, conducted by Douglas Boyd and directed by Danny Slater. She also sings Pamina The Magic Flute at West Green House Opera in conjunction with Garsingon Opera Studio Programme (21 & 21 July).
- Baritone Riccardo Novaro sings Clistene in Vivaldi L’Olimpiade, conducted by Laurence Cummings and directed by David Freeman, from 3 to 29 June.
- From 18 June to 3 July, mezzo Diana Montague sings in Offenbach’s La Périchole as Berginella.
- Mezzo Susan Bickley sings the roles of Mamma and Tzippy in Where the Wild Things Are with Britten Sinfonia at Aldeburgh Festival, on 8 and 10 June.
Opera Holland Park
- Thomas Kemp and Harry Fehr’s new production of Cosi fan tutte stars soprano Elizabeth Llewellyn as Fiordiligi and mezzo Julia Riley as Dorabella, from 8 June to 7 July.
- From 20 July to 3 August, baritone George von Bergen sings Ford Falstaff in a new production by Annilese Miskimmon, conducted by Peter Robinson.
Bath International Music Festival
- Tenor Sam Furness sings Tamino in Joanna MacGregor and Richard Williams’ Die Zauberflöte, 8 to 10 June.
- Kathleen Ferrier Award winner Kitty Whately sings a recital on 14 June.
- Susan Bickley sings Storge in Handel’s Jeptha, 8 to 21 July.
- Joyce DiDonato stars in the Midsummer Night’s Gala and preview on 21 and 22 June. On 15 June she sings a mixed programme at the Schwetzinger SWR Festspiele.
Santa Fe Opera
- In her US debut, Amanda Echalaz sings the title role in Tosca in Santa Fe at the end of June, in a production by Stephen Barlow.
Festival de Beaune
- Mezzo Renata Pokupic sings Nerone Agrippina on 6 July. Eduardo Lopez Banzo is the conductor.
- Riccardo Novaro performs the title role in Orlando (1714 version) on 20 July.
Llangollen International Eisteddfod
- 2011 Cardiff Singer of the World Competition winner soprano Valentina Nafornita sings in a Gala Concert at the Welsh festival on 6 July.
Munich Opera Festival
- Joyce Didonato performs sings two performances of La Cenerentola on 9 and 12 July, and a recital on 14 July.
- Bass-baritone Iain Paterson sings Gunther in Andreas Kriegenburg’s new production of Götterdämmerung. Conducted by Kent Nagano, the production takes place on 30 June and 15 July.
- Soprano Eri Nakamura performs Woglinde in Der Ring des Nibelungen from30 June to 15 July and Arbate in Mitridate, Re di Ponto from 20 July until 1 August.
- On 25 July, Roger Vignoles performs a recital with Elina Garanca.
- Baritone Benedict Nelson performs Savitri Songs of the Exotic on 14 and 15 July.
- Jérémie Rhorer conducts Le nozze di Figaro from 5 to 27 July, directed by Richard Brunel.
-Tenor Anthony Gregory sings Edward Milfort in Rossini’s La Cambiale di Matrimonio with the Ambronay Academie on 21 July.
- Baritone John Chest plays Nardo in Andreas Spering and Vincent Boussard’s new production of La Finta Giardiniera, from 8 to 26 July.
- Baritones Scott Hendricks and David Stout appear together at the Bregenzer Festspiele in André Chénier from 19 July to 18 August, starring as Carlo Gérard and Roucher respectively. The production is directed by Keith Warner and conducted by Ulf Schirmer and Enrico Calesso.
- Bass-baritone Vuyani Mlinde sings with the Monteverdi Choir, conducted by John Eliot Gardiner, in a performance of The Creation on 20 July.
- On 28 July, Roger Vignoles performs a recital with Elina Garanca.
Edinburgh International Festival
- Susan Bickley stars as Brangäne and bass Matthew Best as King Marke in the Welsh National Opera’s Tristan und Isolde on 15 August, conducted by Lothar Koenigs.
- Mary Bevan sings Mendelssohn A Midsummer Night’s Dream alongside the Scottish Chamber Orchestra, conducted by Sir Roger Norrington on 13 August.
- Kitty Whately is accompanied by Roger Vignoles in the Ferrier Centenary Celebration Concert on 11 August.
- English National Opera brings a concert performance of its critically acclaimed Peter Grimes to the Royal Albert Hall on 24 August, featuring Iain Paterson as Captain Balstrode; Matthew Best as Swallow; tenor Michael Colvin as Bob Boles; Dame Felicity Palmer as Mrs Sedley and baritone Leigh Melrose as Ned Keene.
- Baritone Jacques Imbrailo sings Jesus in The Apostles with the Hallé Orchestra and Sir Mark Elder (10 August).
- On 11 August Susan Bickley premieres a new piece composed for her by Brian Elias: Electra Mourns, performed by Britten Sinfonia.
- Leigh Melrose also stars in a semi-staged performance of Sullivan’s Yeoman of the Guard on 19 August. He plays the part of Lt Sir Richard Cholmondeley, while Felicity Palmer sings Dame Carruthers and soprano Mary Bevan sings Kate.